|imag courtesy of foodmayhem.com|
5 - Pequin Chilis1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 - tablespoon of great tasting Honey
1 - teaspoon Onion Powder
5 - Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
1/4- teaspoon Kosher Salt + extra to season with
1/4- teaspoon Mixed Peppercorns (or just black, if that’s what you have)
1/4- teaspoon Ground Cumin Powder
1/4- teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper Powder
2 - tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fire roast the chilis on a grill. (We usually do it on the burners but these were too small and would fall through.)
- As they are roasting, put the vinegar, honey, and onion powder in a blender and spin it once. Let the onion powder dissolve.
- Mash the garlic, 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, and peppercorns with a morter and pestle. If you don’t have one, you could do this in the blender, but break the pepper first. Add to the blender.
- Toast the cumin and cayenne in a dry pan for 6-8 minutes, until aromatic. Don’t burn. Add to blender.
- When your chilis are roasted, remove the stem, seeds, and skin, roughly chop them and add to the blender. Run the blender on medium for 1-2 minutes, to thoroughly combine ingredients. Use a spatula (or spoon) to scrape down sides. While running, slowly drizzle first tablespoon oil. Turn off and scrape down sides. Repeat for remaining oil. Taste for flavor, add additional salt as necessary.